Sunday, May 22, 2011

Spaghetti/Pizza Sauce from #10 can

Since I still haven't figured out why blogger is not accepting my photos, I thought of this post that I could write since it doesn't require any photos.

Spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce is not cheap. I make homemade pizza on Friday nights plus any other pasta dish so we can go through a lot of sauce. I was also shocked at how much sodium is in spaghetti sauce!

Costco sells #10 cans of tomato puree for under 3 dollars. I wanted to figure out a way to add my own spices and control the salt intake plus it would definitely be cheaper. I looked online to see if anyone had done this, but I couldn't find an exact recipe. So I experimented on my own.

Spaghetti/Pizza Sauce

#10 can tomato puree or tomato sauce
One and 1/3 cups chopped onion (dried, not fresh, you can find it easily in the spices section)
1/2 cup granulated garlic
1 cup italian seasoning (you can find this in the spice section, I got mine at Smart and Final)
One and 1/2 tsp salt

Mix all together in a large stockpot and heat on the stove at medium heat until boiling. That's it! Now if you use the puree like I did it will make for a thick sauce, but since I put mine on pizza I don't mind. If its too thick for your liking them add some water. It'll make your sauce go even longer too.

After its done I spoon it into some Classico spaghetti jars (I was saving them to put sand and tealights in them for summer) but I ended up using the jars for all my extra sauce. I spoon it in and then I throw the jars in my freezer in the garage until I need one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this! I used to make spaghetti sauce from tomato sauce cans when we were in college to save money, and all I'd do is throw in a bunch of spices until it tasted good! Now I'm lazy and buy the big bulk bottles of prego at Stater's, but the sodium is really high! I want to try this now so I can save even more on spaghetti sauce and make it healthier! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete