Friday, January 21, 2011

Confessions of a Spray-Paint-A-Holic

I love spray paint. That is no secret around here. But I wonder if I crossed the line when the first two words are....Princess House. I received a set of Princess House plates complete with a serving platter and dish, bowls, and a pitcher. A family member was moving across the country and gave them to me as she was radically downsizing her house. Since space is at a premium in my kitchen, I really make sure that I only have things that I use. This large bowl was sitting in the back of the cabinet and if I was going to keep it around I wanted to make some good use of it. It's definitely a pretty pattern, but I knew I would use it a lot more if it was solid white as a decor dish. So I did just that.
I used Kilz spray primer - it took two coats for the pattern to fully disappear. I had a can of almond appliance epoxy spray paint laying around so I decided to use that since it would give it a really hard finish.

And here is the completed bowl! I love the change.


And here it is sitting complete with its current inhabitants - more yarn balls. I've been doing different colors and I've been throwing them in there as I finish them. I am loving that turquoise color, I'll definitely be making more of those! I'm definitely looking forward to spring colors coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. Can you do this to dishes and then eat off them? Or how about the dishwasher. I have tons of bowls I got for my wedding, but now they don't match my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great question Amanda, I wish I knew for sure. I have not personally tried putting it in the dishwasher but I wouldn't recommend using it for food because there are toxic chemicals in spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow !!! I am loving your blog girl !!!

    ReplyDelete